Thursday, December 4, 2008

Proposition 8 and MUSIC!!

See more Jack Black videos at Funny or Die


Oh, this video is so hilarious. A friend of mine posted it on facebook, and I just about died laughing. Jack Black is perfect. Well, they all are actually. And, if he were not gay, I would marry Neil Patrick Harris if sparkly cheekbones won't have me.


* * * *



I’m not a big country fan, but I like bluegrass, and I really like what I’ve heard so far of Jack White’s band The Raconteurs. It feels natural and the sound is fluid. I’m enjoying it.

I’ve been thinking a lot about Abbey Road lately. That album is just so perfect; every moment of it is a joy. Ringo’s best drumming (his only drum solo in their catalogue) is in “The End” which may be The Beatles' most incredible piece of music. But the entire album really is just brilliant.

Go here to see live webcam images of Abbey Road, and it's famous crosswalk.
http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/

I listened a bit to Jason Mraz’s new album and wasn’t that impressed; I like his voice but the whole album felt bland and sometimes reminded me of an 80s Basia album. It has all the cheese of Stevie Wonders "I Just Called to Say I Love You," without the cred. His track “A Beautiful Mess” was a shade lovely, though the lyrics were corny and disjointed.

* * * *


My brother turned me on to The Innocence Mission, and I’m officially in love with Karen Paris’ voice. I'd only heard one song from them in the past – "Bright As Yellow" off the Empire Records soundtrack, and liked it but didn’t love it. However, their lullaby album Now The Day Is Over is simply gorgeous. I highly recommend everyone own it; it’s that beautiful.

I’m also in love with this little-known Austin band called Belaire (flor, I sent you a song on itunes – you’d better redeem that sucker!) They’re very Stereolab, light pop wonderful, but they can still rock out. I’d love to see them live.

I’m already wishing Interpol, Fiona Apple, and Radiohead would release new albums. I know the creative process takes time, but I need more!! I can only listen to Our Love to Admire, Extraordinary Machine, and In Rainbows so many hundreds of times. I got this snarky little comment off of Rolling Stone's website:

"It’s nice to know some of the U.S. budget might not going to the Iraq War: A few key members of the White House, namely deputy press Tony Fratto, downloaded copies of Radiohead’s In Rainbows."


Rivers Cuomo’s cover of "Don’t Worry Baby" is darling; I adore it. Really the whole album is great – he’s released two discs of the album Alone: The Home recordings of Rivers Cuomo 1992-2007. It’s Weezer heaven, especially for fans of their older work. I am upset that their Christmas songs are exclusively being released on Iphone - it's such corporate BS.


Oh, on a totally different note, read this great article by Denis Leary. It’s so incredibly sweet and surprisingly lyrical – makes me hope I’ll find this kind of connection someday:

Denis Leary on Love at First Sight

Ah, love, and/or the promise of love ...

I'm signing out with Nick Drake :)

No comments: