Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Bad Girl Planner and Other Stories

Even though it has only been a week since my last post, I'm assessing my resolutions.

1. Still a procrastinator. Some things never change.
2. Working out every day and eating vegetables - woo hoo!
3. Social, but tired.

Regarding #3, I feel like an old person. All I want to do is stay home and drink hot coffee under a blanket. But I'm trying! I've actually left the house more than twice this week! See? Now that's progress.

The year has just begun, and it has already brought such change with it. A few days ago, my best and favourite cousin had an 8 pound, beaming little boy - he's absolutely beautiful. I grew up with her, and I consider her a sister; so the idea of her pregnant and in another country is overwhelming. If all goes well, I'll trek over to Korea this year to visit her and baby.

My friend Vanessa bought me the Bad Girl's Planner :)


Which leads me to believe that I have given someone the impression that I live an exciting life, in which I actually do exciting things.

I'm stuck working a ten hour shift today, which inspired me to draw a powerful and well-crafted, walls-of-the-Louvre quality drawing depicting me crying next to a warm, comfy bed. I will have to upload this photo later, as I obviously don't know what I'm doing today and can't show you now. ****




My brother has an awesome YouTube page with videos recounting the time when San Antonio's BEST record store Hogwild was involved with the Anti-Censorship League in the 80s. He's also got some incredible playlists set up - watching them is like watching MTV circa 1982 (he's even included the astronaut on the moon station identifications which aired between videos). It made me ache for classic MTV. I blame the current bland, commercialized, why-are-we-still-called-MTV-when-we-don't-play-music-anymore inanity of the current station on the very first Real World, which led to the reality t.v. hot-tub entertainment that I despise SO much. Anyway...

Here, have some amazing photography today why doncha?
In Design class, I was slightly obsessed with perspective, so this collection is a joy to me.

COBRA, you are useless to me.
For those without insurance, COBRA is meant to be a cost-effective alternative, but I know from personal experience it's hogwash. This article also tells us that unemployment has jumped from 7.2%.
"For every 1 percentage point rise in unemployment, the number of uninsured Americans climbs by 1.1 percent."

Fred Kaplan's Best Jazz of 2008.
And HERE is a link to his fantastic Jazz blog :)

Blagojevech finally gets the bye-bye.
About damned time.

Al Franken named senator of Minnesota.
About damned time. Coleman brings on the lawyers. {sigh}

And finally, ex-evangelist Ted Haggard tells us all about how 'complicated' his sex life is in new documentary.
Yes, living a lie is definitely complicated. God forbid we embrace who we are sexually AND spiritually. I'm curious to see what insight he may offer in this HBO film.

Currently reading: Trash magazines and a month-old copy of Newsweek.


**** EDIT: Ha! Here's the picture




No comments: