Thursday, November 27, 2008

Twilight Film Review, Crazy Girlfriend, and 42nd St.

So I haven't posted anything in ages. But teenage pandemonium and mass hysteria has prompted me to post a Twilight review, and, no, it's not bad.

Anyway, I heart this movie. In all its goofy, utter sincerity. It has not one cynical bone in its body.

Although Robert Pattinson doesn’t completely succeed on all levels (there are moments of unintentional garish hilarity and he sometimes looks like a pained mime about to hurl), his overall performance was brave and nuanced. He brought humor and pathos to a role that could have been played as an expressionless, bloodless hair model/stalker. There is no better actor than a brave one. An acting coach once told me, "When struggling with objectives and actions, make the riskier choices." ... of course, I could just be saying all of this because he is incredibly hot.

I thought some of the effects worked. The baseball game was electric and fun. The tree stuff was nice. The transition from treetops and mountain views to the lullaby sequence was gorgeous. Carter Burwell’s score was majestic and sweet, but I admit it sometimes reminded me of cheesy 80s scores for films like Ladyhawke (another sincere, cheese-fest I love). I hated some of the wire work and the running; I think some creative editing could have saved them from the tacky look of certain effects. The makeup was at times just dreadful. I really think the makeup artist could have made them appear pale without turning their faces into kabuki masks. The vampire's lipstick shade I believe was mulberry.



Overall, it was frank and funny and bold, ultimately cheesy, and a even a bit campy. But it was sincere and self-absorbed as first love always is. This film reminds me of that innocent time when I really believed loving someone could mean everything ... secretly, I still partially believe that.

*****

In other news (let's shift from the sincere to the cynical for a moment, shall we?), this is the funniest thing I've read all week:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/god_help_him_but_area_man_loves

My favorite line -

"Maybe it's the way she dumped her nail polish on my pool table when I insulted her sister, or the way she cries every time I eat veal, but damned if I don't adore her crazy ass," Shearer said. "I'll kill her someday, I swear, but that wack-job is going to end up being the mother of my children."

Why does this feel more like an accurate description of real relationships than the star-crossed lovers in the above review? Heh heh.

*****



I saw 42nd St. recently as well (the 1933 film version), and it was spectacular. Ruby Keeler gives a diamond of a performance, and Dick Powell is adorable. I adored this film. It made me long for that more innocent time (a time which has more in common with Twilight's universe than with most films today), when watching people hoof it on a stage and fall in love was enough to temporarily salve the everyday agonies of the Great Depression. It's a resilient, hopeful film with a sharp, winking eye. And it's got one of the best, most classic movie lines ever: "You're going out there a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!!" It doesn't get any better than that ... unless it involves a pair of sparkly cheekbones ;)

No comments: